A two-hour walk with architect Marty Towles, beginning and ending at the Woodley Park metro stop is also a nice way to spend a morning in one of Washington’s most distinctive neighborhoods.
Date: Sunday: October 8th at 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
During the late 19th century, the federal city of Washington began to expand past its previous borders of New York Ave. (then Boundary St.) and what came to be known as Rock Creek Park. This expansion resulted in the design and construction of many unique examples of buildings and infrastructure, a number of which still stand today. This tour will discuss Washington’s growth into Woodley Park, placing the growth into historical context as we examine the design of Woodley Park and its buildings. We will view structures constructed in 1804 up through 2015, including structures that were, structures that remain, and some unusual structures that might have been. A two-hour walk, beginning and ending at the Woodley Park metro stop is also a nice way to spend a morning in one of Washington’s most distinctive neighborhoods. From haunted hotels to houses that disappeared while the owner was away on a grand tour of Europe, there is a lot to see and discuss in Woodley Park.
Date: Sunday: October 8th from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Tour begins at 10:30 a.m. at the Woodley Park metro stop
Duke Ellington and Taft Bridges
Omni Shoreham Hotel
The Swiss Embassy and the residence of the Swiss Ambassador
Woodley House, now the Maret School
Marty Towles is an architect who has worked in the Washington DC area for over 20 years. His passions for art, history and the built environment led him to create this and other tours which have been given for the American Institute of Architects. A 20 year resident of both Woodley and Cleveland Parks, Marty is continually fascinated by these neighborhoods, and loves to share this fascination with others.
Price: $50 per person
By purchasing ticket(s), you affirm that you and tour attendees accompanying you fully understand and agree to the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand that my safety is my responsibility.
- I understand and agree that the loss, theft, or destruction of my belongings is my sole responsibility.
- I fully understand and accept, without limitation, sole responsibility for all of the risks associated with my participation while on the tour or event, including injury and death whether through my own actions or those of other participants, tour guides, or any other external parties. I assume sole responsibility for this risk and release Politics & Prose from all liability or damages resulting from my participation.
- I understand and agree that the safety and wellbeing of minors under the age of 18 accompanying myself or my party are my sole responsibility.
- I represent that I am in proper physical condition to participate in this tour or event.
- I understand and agree that tour leader reserves the right to disqualify anyone at any time during the tour if he or she feels the person’s continued participation will jeopardize the individual involved or the group. Refunds are not given under such circumstances.
- I waive liability and release Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all actions, suits, claims, controversies, damages, judgments and executions whatsoever, in law or in equity, direct or indirect, known or unknown, foreseeable or unforeseeable, which I may have or acquire, arising from, concerning or related to entry in, travel to or from and/or participation in Politics & Prose tours or events.
- I agree that Politics & Prose is not liable for delay or cancellation resulting from acts of participants, agents, employees, acts of God, public enemy, or the United States; or fire, natural disaster, strikes, or civil disturbance.
- This Participant Waiver and Release of Liability shall be construed in accordance with, and its validity and effect (including any claims for breach of any of the terms thereof) shall be governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, and this Participant Waiver and Release of Liability contains the entire understanding and the agreement of the parties hereto and supersedes all other written and oral exchanges, arrangements or negotiations among them, whether written or oral, concerning the subject matter hereof.
I do hereby, on behalf of myself, my dependents, heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release and agree to hold harmless Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, vendors, operators, agents and employees from any and all liability associated with the above. I agree to release, discharge, defend and indemnify against, any and all liability, whether caused by willful or negligent conduct, Politics & Prose, its affiliates, owners, operators, agents, and employees from any claims, actions and liabilities for injury (including death), illness and property losses, theft or damages to myself and those participating in the tour with me. This release shall extend to and include any person/entity acting through or on my behalf.