Politics and Prose displays a limited number of books on consignment from local authors in the area. If you are interested in seeing your self-published book on our shelves, please email email@example.com with information about your book. The first step to having your book considered for consignment, provided you are familiar with the policies and terms below, is to bring a copy of your book for review by the consignment manager at our main location at 5015 Connecticut Ave NW. If you have any questions, you may also call (202) 364-1919, extension 2.
- To be eligible for consignment at Politics and Prose, an author must either have been a member of the store for two years or purchase at least a two-year membership, currently $45. In addition, a fee of $30 will be charged to cover handling and stocking expenses.
- Books are only eligible for consignment from local authors residing in or around Washington, DC. Books must have a spine containing the title and author. Politics and Prose may not consider books that are self-published through certain large-scale self-publishing companies.
- On any sale of the consigned book, the author will receive 55 percent of the total, and Politics and Prose will receive the remaining 45 percent.
- The author may choose among our several P&P store locations, but only one location can be selected and may be subject to consignment manager’s discretion. All processing and application are done through our main store on Connecticut Ave.
- Books on consignment are shelved in the appropriate section in the store. Table or wall displays are not guaranteed. Events at the store are not a part of the consignment contract.
- Politics and Prose carries a maximum of three copies of consigned books at a time. As books sell, the author will be contacted with a request for a restock.
- The consignment contract will be reviewed at the end of each fiscal quarter, at which time Politics and Prose will evaluate the sales of the consigned book and decide whether or not to renew the agreement. After the contract is first completed, books are guaranteed at our store for only two quarters.
- After each fiscal quarter, Politics and Prose will calculate the royalties due the author. If the consigned book has earned $50 or more in royalties, Politics and Prose will send a check in the full amount. If the book has earned less than $50 and the consignment contract is not renewed, the author will receive a store credit in the form of a gift card for the full amount due. If the book has earned less than $50 and the consignment contract is renewed, the amount due will roll over to the next quarter.
- If a consignment contract is not renewed at the end of a fiscal quarter (March 31, June 30, September 30, December 31), the author has two weeks to pick up the remaining books, or the author can request that P&P ship the books at the author’s expense. If the books are still in the store one month after the expiration of the consignment agreement, Politics and Prose reserves the right to dispose of them as it sees fit.
- Politics and Prose is not responsible for losses due to theft, or for any wear and tear on any copies of the consigned book.