Big Questions for Young Minds: Extending Children's Thinking (Paperback)
Questions are powerful tools, especially in the classroom. Asking rich, thoughtful questions can spark young children's natural curiosity and illuminate a whole new world of possibility and insight. But what are "big" questions, and how do they encourage children to think deeply? With this intentional approach--rooted in Bloom's Taxonomy--teachers working with children ages 3 through 6 will discover how to meet children at their individual developmental levels and stretch their thinking. Featuring contributions from respected names in the field, this book:
- - Offers a foundation for using high-level questions in preschool and kindergarten interest areas
- - Provides tips for getting started and examples of questions at each of the six levels of questioning
- - Explores the use of high-level questions during daily classroom routines and in a variety of contexts
- - Recommends picture books that support the use of high-level questions
- - Includes an extensive resource section for teachers and families
With the guidance in this book as a cornerstone in your day-to-day teaching practices, learn how to be more intentional in your teaching, scaffold children's learning, and promote deeper understanding.