C++ High Performance, Second Edition: Master the art of optimizing the functioning of your C++ code (Paperback)
A comprehensive guide to help aspiring and professional C++ developers elevate the performance of their apps by allowing them to run faster and consume fewer resources
- Updated to C++20 with completely revised code and more content on error handling, benchmarking, memory allocators, and concurrent programming
- Explore the latest C++20 features including concepts, ranges, and coroutines
- Utilize C++ constructs and techniques to carry out effective data structure optimization and memory management
C++ High Performance, Second Edition intends to guide you through optimizing the performance of your C++ apps by allowing them to run faster and consume fewer resources on the device they're running on without compromising the readability of your codebase.
The book begins by introducing C++ language and some of its modern concepts to you in brief. Once you are familiar with the fundamentals, it enables you to measure and identify bottlenecks in a C++ codebase and how to eradicate them using modern C++ constructs and techniques. In this process, you will gradually improve your style of writing code. You will further dive deep to explore data structure optimization, memory management, and how it can be used efficiently concerning CPU caches.
After laying the foundation, the book trains you to leverage algorithms, ranges, and containers from the standard library to achieve faster execution, write readable code and use customized iterators. It provides hands-on experience of C++ metaprogramming, coroutines, reflection to reduce boilerplate code, proxy objects to perform optimizations under the hood, concurrent programming and lock-free data structures. The book concludes with an overview of parallel algorithms.
By the end of this book, you will have developed the ability to use every tool as per its need to boost the efficiency of your C++ project.
What you will learn
- Write specialized data structures for performance-critical code
- Use modern metaprogramming techniques to reduce runtime calculations
- Achieve efficient memory management using custom memory allocators
- Reduce boilerplate code using reflection techniques
- Reap the benefits of lock-free concurrent programming
- Gain insights into subtle optimizations used by standard library algorithms
- Compose algorithms using ranges library
- Develop the ability to apply metaprogramming aspects such as constexpr, constraints and concepts
- Implement lazy generators and asynchronous tasks using C++20 coroutines
Who this book is for
If you're a C++ developer looking to improve the efficiency of your code or just keen to upgrade your skills to the next level, this book is for you.