The Linchpin Writer: Crafting Your Novel's Key Moments (Paperback)
In every novel there are pivotal places that can make or break a book. Write them well, and you'll have your readers begging for a sequel. Write them poorly, and your book will get scathing reviews and sell only a handful of copies. These pivotal places are "linchpin moments," and in this book you'll learn how to nail these moments.
Based on real advice from editing hundreds of novels, John Matthew Fox guides writers through the process of creating a novel that soars in the reader's imagination. After reading this book, you'll be a better storyteller, a better self-editor, and a better writer.
In this book you'll learn how to:
- Flood your readers with strong emotions
- Create memorable beginnings and endings
- Describe characters for the first time
- Make readers swoon in romantic scenes
- Kill off characters (without enraging your readers)
- Harness the element of surprise