Teaching the Way: Using the Principles of The Art of War to Teach Composition (Paperback)
Teaching the Way: Using the Principles of The Art of War to Teach Composition uses the insight into human nature provided by Sun Tzu in The Art of War to help composition teachers improve not only the quality of their teaching, but their satisfaction with teaching. Specifically, this book is designed to help teachers:
- acquire the right attitudes to motivate them to succeed,
- learn how to present themselves to students in a way that engenders trust and encourages active participation,
- develop teaching methods that encourage student motivation (and avoid those that do the opposite),
- understand how to best use discipline and reward to keep students engaged,
- teach classes in a cooperative way that leads students, not just the teacher, to provide energy.
Nelson's book is based on the belief that students need to have productive, positive experiences in composition classes to give themselves a chance to succeed academically, in their careers, and in life. His philosophy was developed over years of teaching and his constant quest to make the experiences in the classroom better for both him and his students. This book can help teachers, both new and experienced, apply the wisdom of Sun Tzu's methods to transform their composition classes to be more positive, impactful, and enjoyable. Readers will appreciate the conversational, accessible tone Nelson uses to offer practical advice about creating assignments, developing classroom strategies, using groups, managing grading, and more.