Before the Wind: True Stories about Sailing (Paperback)
Words of wisdom, humor, practical advice, and ripping yarns.
Twenty-five selections from some of the world's most famous authors and sailors.
- Joshua Slocum, the first man to sail around the world alone
- Richard Henry Dana's extraordinary account of beginning a sailor's life
- Ted Turner's racing strategy
- Clare Francis on her transatlantic solo race
- Robert Louis Stevenson's emigrant passage of North America
- Jack London sailing in Polynesia
Plus portraits of:
- Dennis Conner
- Thomas Lipton
- Jacques Cousteau
- Ernest Shackleton
- The great schooner Bluenose
- and more
David Gowdey, a native of London, Ontario, now lives in San Rafael, California, with his wife and two children. His first collection, Riding on the Roar of the Crowd, was hailed as "an absolute feast" by hockey fans, critics, and sportswriters.